Research and Publications
Selected publications by areas:
1. Radiation Sensors Development
- Jinghui Wang, Padhraic Mulligan, Len Brillson, Lei Cao, “Review of Using Gallium Nitride for Ionizing Radiation Detection,” Applied Physics Reviews 2 (3), 031102, 2015.
- Chuting Tan, Robinson James, Bin Dong, M. Sky Driver, Jeffry A. Kelber, Greg Downing, Lei R. Cao. "Characterization of a boron carbide-based polymer neutron sensor," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section A. Vol. 803, 82-88, 2015.
- P. Mulligan, J.H. Wang, L. R. Cao, "Evaluation of Freestanding GaN as an Alpha and Neutron Detector," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A:. Vol. 719, 13-16. 2013.
- J.H. Wang, P. Mulligan, L. R. Cao, "Transient Current Analysis of a GaN Radiation Detector by TCAD," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section A, Vol. 761, no. 11: 7-12. 2014.
- Neil Taylor, Nora Alnajjar, Josh Jarrell, Praneeth Kandlakunta, Michael Simpson, Thomas E. Blue, and Lei R. Cao, “Isotopic Concentration of Uranium from Alpha Spectrum of Electrodeposited Source on 4H-SiC Detector”, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
- Praneeth Kandlakunta, Lei R. Cao, "Neutron conversion efficiency and gamma interference with gadolinium," Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry. Vol. 300, no. 3: 953-961. 2014.
- Wang, Lei, Josh Jarrell, Sha Xue, Chuting Tan, Thomas Blue, and Lei R. Cao. "Fast neutron detection at near-core location of a research reactor with a SiC detector." Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 888 (2018): 126-131.
- Wei, Haotong, Dylan DeSantis, Wei Wei, Yehao Deng, Dengyang Guo, Tom J. Savenije, Lei Cao, and Jinsong Huang. "Dopant compensation in alloyed CH 3 NH 3 PbBr3xCl1-x perovskite single crystals for gamma-ray spectroscopy." Nature materials 16, no. 8 (2017): 826.
- Haotong Wei, Yanjun Fang, Padhraic Mulligan, William Chuirazzi, Hong-Hua Fang, Congcong Wang, Benjamin R. Ecker, Yongli Gao, Maria Antonietta Loi, Lei Cao, Jinsong Huang, "Sensitive X-ray detectors made of methylammonium lead tribromide perovskite single crystals," Nature Photonics. Vol. 10, 333–339. 2016.
- Yang, Shuang, Zeyuan Xu, Sha Xue, Praneeth Kandlakunta, Lei Cao, and Jinsong Huang. "Organohalide Lead Perovskites: More Stable than Glass under Gamma‐Ray Radiation." Advanced Materials (2018): 1805547. (Role: project co-PI, advised students, wrote part of the paper)
- Sha Xue, Chuting Tan, Praneeth Kandlakunta, Ibrahim Oksuz, Vasil Hlinka, Lei R. Cao, "Method to improve power conversion efficiency of nuclear voltaic battery" Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, (2018, DOI: 10.1016/j.nima.2019.01.097)
2. Nuclear Instrumentation, Measurement
- P. Kandlakunta, L. R. Cao, P. Mulligan, "Measurement of Internal Conversion Electrons from Gd Neutron Capture," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Vol. 705, 36 - 41. 2013.
- Praneeth Kandlakunta, Lei Cao, "Gamma ray rejection, or detection, with gadolinium as a converter," Radiation Protection Dosimetry. Vol. 149, no. 2: 1-5. 2012.
- D. Turkoglu, J. Burke, R. Lewandowski, L. Cao, "Characterization of a new external neutron beam facility at the Ohio State University," Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry. Vol. 291, no. 2: 321-327. 2012.
- Hardtmayer, Douglas, Kevin Herminghuysen, Susan White, Andrew Kauffman, Jeff Sanders, Shelly Li, and Lei Cao. "Determination of molten salt mass using 22Na tracer mixed with 154 Eu and 137Cs." Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 318, no. 1 (2018): 457-463.
- Cao, Lei, Josh Jarrell, Susan White, Kevin Herminghuysen, Andrew Kauffman, Douglas E. Hardtmayer, Jeff Sanders, and Shelly Li. "A radioactive tracer dilution method to determine the mass of molten salt." Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 314, no. 1 (2017): 387-393.
3. Neutron Radiography/Neutron Imaging
- Raymond Lei Cao, Steven R. Biegalski, "The measurement of the presampled MTF of a high spatial resolution neutron imaging system," Nuclear Inst. and Methods in Physics Research, A. Vol. 582, no. 2: 621-628. 2007.
- Radoslaw Lewandowski, Lei Cao, Danyal Turkoglu, "Noise Evaluation of a Digital Neutron Imaging Device," Nuclear Inst. and Methods in Physics Research, A. Vol. 674, 46-50. 2012.
- D. Turkoglu, L. Cao, R. Lewandowski, "A low-cost neutron radiography device," Physics Procedia. Vol. 43, 54-65. 2013.
- Chuirazzi, William C., Ibrahim Oksuz, Praneeth Kandlakunta, Thomas N. Massey, Carl R. Brune, Nerine J. Cherepy, H. Paul Martinez, and Lei Cao. "Evaluation of polyvinyl toluene scintillators for fast neutron imaging." Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 318, no. 1 (2018): 543-551. (Role: project PI, advised students, corresponding author)
4. Neutron Beam, Nuclear Methods, Neutron Depth Profiling, Study on Li-ion Battery
- P. L. Mulligan, L. R. Cao, D. Turkoglu, "A multi-detector, digitizer based neutron depth profiling device for characterizing thin film materials," Review of Scientific Instruments. Vol. 83, no. 7: 073303. 2012.
- Z. Tun, J.J. Noël, Th. Bohdanowicz, L.R. Cao, R.G. Downing and L.V. Goncharova, "Cold-Neutron Depth Profiling as a Research Tool for the Study of Surface Oxides on Metals," Canadian Journal of Physics. Vol. 10, no. 88: 751-758. 2010.
- Danny X. Liu, Jinghui Wang, Pan Ke, Jie Qiu, Marcello Canova, Lei R. Cao and Anne C. Co, "In Situ Quantification and Visualization of Lithium Transport with Neutrons," Angewandte Chemie International. Vol. 53, 9498-9502. 2014.
- Jinghui Wang, Danny Liu, Anne Co, Marcello Canova, R. Gregory Downing, Lei R. Cao. "Profiling lithium distributions in Sn anode of Lithium-Ion Batteries with neutrons," Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry. Vol. 301, no. 1. 277 – 284, 2014.
- Shrikant C. Nagpurea, Padhraic Mulligan, Marcello Canova, Lei R. Cao, "Neutron depth profiling of Li-ion cell electrodes with a gas-controlled environment,"Journal of Power Sources. Vol. 248, 489-497. 2014.
- Shrikant C. Nagpure, R. Gregory Downing, Bharat Bhushan, S.S. Babu and Lei R. Cao, "Neutron Depth Profiling Technique for Studying Aging in Li-ion Batteries," Electrochimica Acta. Vol. 13, no. 56: 4735-4743. 2011.
5. Radiation Effects, Survivability Testing
- Tan, Chuting, Nicholas H. Bashian, Chase W. Hemmelgarn, Wesley J. Thio, Daniel J. Lyons, Yuan F. Zheng, Lei R. Cao, and Anne C. Co. "Ex-situ and in-situ observations of the effects of gamma radiation on lithium ion battery performance." Journal of Power Sources 357 (2017): 19-25.
- Adib Samin, Michael Kurth, Lei R. Cao, "An Analysis of Radiation Effects on NdFeB Permanent Magnets," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B, Vol. 342, no. 1. 2015.
- Adib Samin, Lei Cao, “Monte Carlo study of radiation-induced demagnetization using the two-dimensional Ising model,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B, Vol. 360, 111–117. 2015.
- Chuting Tan, Daniel J. Lyons, Ke Pan, Kwan Yee Leung, William C. Chuirazzi, Marcello Canova, Anne C. Co, Lei R. Cao, "Radiation effects on the electrode and electrolyte of a lithium-ion battery," Journal of Power Sources. Vol. 318, 242–250. 2016.
- Jie Qiu, Evan Katz, Chung-Han Lin, Lei Cao, Leonard J. Brillson, "The Effect of Thermal Reactor Neutron Irradiation on Semi-insulating GaN," Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids. Vol. 168, 1- 9. 2013.
- Evan J. Katz, Chung-Han Lin, Jie Qiu, Zhichun Zhang, Umesh K. Mishra, Lei Cao, Leonard J. Brillson “Neutron Irradiation Effects on Metal-Gallium Nitride Contacts,” Journal of Applied Physics, 115, 123705, 2014.
- Chung-Han Lin, Evan J. Katz, Jie Qiu, Zhichun Zhang, Umesh K. Mishra, Lei Cao and Leonard J. Brillson, "Neutron irradiation effects on gallium nitride-based Schottky diodes," Applied Physics Letters. Vol. 103, no. 16: 1-9. 2013
- Gao, Hantian, Shreyas Muralidharan, Nicholas Pronin, Md Rezaul Karim, Susan M. White, Thaddeus Asel, Geoffrey Foster et al. "Optical signatures of deep level defects in Ga2O3." Applied Physics Letters 112, no. 24 (2018): 242102.